The Board consists of the Chairman and a maximum of five other members. The President of the Republic appoints the Chairman of the Board for a seven-year term. The other members of the Board are appointed by the Parliamentary Supervisory Council, each for a five-year term.
Governor Olli Rehn is on a leave of absence 23 September 2023 – 30 January 2024. During this time, the duties of Governor of the Bank of Finland will be discharged by Deputy and Acting Governor Marja Nykänen. Rehn has appointed Member of the Board of the Bank of Finland Tuomas Välimäki to act in his absence as a member of the Governing Council of the European Central Bank. The deputising Member of the Board of the Bank of Finland will be Adviser to the Board Kimmo Virolainen, in accordance with the order of precedence in deputising for Board members decided by the Parliamentary Supervisory Council.
The Parliamentary Supervisory Council consists of nine members elected by Parliament. The members of the Parliamentary Supervisory Council elect a chairman and a deputy chairman from among themselves.
The members of the Parliamentary Supervisory Council are Antti Lindtman (Chairman), Matias Marttinen, (Deputy Chairman), Janne Heikkinen, Krista Kiuru, Katri Kulmuni, Sakari Puisto, Minna Reijonen, Ville Vähämäki and Ben Zyskowicz. Serving as secretaries to the Council are Mika Pösö, MSc (Econ. & Bus. Adm.), substituting for Kimmo Virolainen for the period 23 September 2023 – 30 January 2024, and Anne Hedman, LLM.
The Bank of Finland has approximately 375 employees and seven departments. The number of personnel at the Financial Supervisory Authority is approximately 240. The Financial Supervisory Authority operates administratively in connection with the Bank of Finland, but in its supervisory work it takes its decisions independently. Of the Financial Supervisory Authority’s activities, 95% are funded by supervised entities, with the remaining 5% provided by the Bank of Finland.